Jul 26, 2009

Empty Vessels Make The Most Noise?

I always thought I'd never ever use that saying in a real life situation, but I am more than happy to use it today and tomorrow and the next day and as long as I am still stuck in this place.

When I was in primary school, Year 6 to be exact, my parents came to our Open Day where the class teachers had a one to one meeting with all parents discussing our results and other academic matters, sometimes behaviour and attitude too. My class teacher was happy with my performance in general except for one thing - she said I didn't try to work with other kids. I always did work on my own, I never asked nor discussed. And she used one adjective that affected me up till today; I was stingy with my knowledge.

Of course I never confronted my teacher or even explained to my parents why I acted that way. All I knew (and I still do) that I prefer working alone than with other people. When I was in boarding school, I discovered more to this side of me. It wasn't that I don't like working with people and that I wasn't a team player - I just prefer finishing my own work first before getting to others. And that's how I am up till now. I like finishing my own work, then do what I need to do with my team members and sometimes I do the groupwork on my own.

It's not because I think I am better than everybody else, I am just the kind of person who needs things to be proven in order for me to accept it. I need to know it's legit and that nothing else could be done because I do like having options. I am not square, I am actually more creative than square and that is why I tend to see things in tons of ways so for people to get me to agree to just one way would be really tough. I realised at one point this might annoy some people so I prefer to put in the hard work into research etc before proceeding to group work. While I want to be acknowledged for my effort, most of the time, I really don't care. I just like things to be done and that everyone involved got what they deserved.

Now I am working, facing and dealing with all sorts of personalities and working styles. Some are good and some are, well, not really on the good side of things. Half the time I need to work on my own and the rest with the staff of the school. I always have fun doing stuff for school, whether it was me being in charged or working under the supervision of more experienced teachers. Since it is a small school, a combined effort is always more appreciated and better. I also learn more things and am more flexible with my working style. At one point though, I began to see a pattern; if you are in the person's who is charged good book, it doesn't matter whether you turn up or not - excuses would always be made on your behalf. If you aren't, well be ready for the sarcasm streak to hit you the minute they get that chance.

Now does that seem fair to you? Even an idiot would know it's not.

So I stopped being so accommodating; I revert back to how I used to be. My utmost priority is my business in the classroom - the teaching and learning. The others come second. I keep reminding myself that I should finish my own work first before agreeing to any other stuff. Whether people choose to see the logic behind that or assume that I just have stacked of lazy bones in me, that's up to them. I might not be one who seem to do tons of duties or work, but it's enough I know that I have done and carried out my core responsibilities, with additional ones only when they are requested of me directly.

When someone throws me snappy remarks and talks with thousand layers of sarcasm (trust me, it happens tons of times), while I know I don't deserve such treatment, I accept whatever he or she wants to throw at me. I have learned to accept passing remarks and that they don't make the person that I am.

Especially when it comes from someone who talks big, who exaggerates and who likes harping about what they have done that others haven't when we all very well know that behind the harping and the boasting and the sarcasm self is a person who hasn't done what should be done first, before everything else.

Honestly, I don't get how people could not be bothered with the fact that the salary they get at the end of every month should be the result of hard work, not something that they entitle to get just because they wake up every morning, go to work and go back when working hours is over. There should be some work, actually there should be lots of work involved in between that. Anybody could go to work and anybody could also just go to work but does not do their work. I think people should really start counting their blessings that they do have jobs and an income to support them and their family, if any, to start really putting effort into what they do rather than what they say.

After all, we wouldn't want to be described as one of those empty vessels now, would we?

0 hug(s) for the bunny: